News‎ > ‎Football News‎ > ‎

Leinster U21 FC Dublin 1-12 Wexford 1-09

posted Mar 1, 2012, 8:13 AM by RahenyGAA Juvenile

After a disappointing exit at the first hurdle last year in Navan, Dublin’s under-21 footballer had to show impressive resolve before escaping from Bellefield, Enniscorthy with victory in this Cadbury Leinster U21FC first round clash on Wednesday night.

The Dubs concluded the first half on top to lead by five points, 1-7 to 1-2, but were pushed all the way in the second half by a resurgent home side who got on level terms, 1-8 each, with ten minutes remaining.

But points from sub Ciaran Reddin, the influential Jack McCaffrey and Ciaran Kilkenny eased Dublin nerves as the boys in blue advanced to face Laois in a provincial quarter-final next Wednesday night in Parnell Park.

The introduction of Paddy O’Higgins at centrefield, just inside the last ten minutes, also helped to stem the flow of possession and scores in Wexford’s favour as the big Raheny man secured re-established a foothold for a floundering Dublin side at midfield.

The opening quarter was an evenly balanced affair but Wexford struck for a brilliant goal in the 18th minute when Matthew O’Hanlon and Adrien Cash combined before Michael O’Regan finished to the net past John Brian Carthy to see the Slaneysiders edge 1-2 to 0-3 in front.

However, from then to the half-time interval it was mostly Dublin - their clincial counter-attacking play in particular paying dividends - as points from John Small, Ciaran Kilkenny (free), Emmet O Conghaile, and Philip Ryan (free) put Jim Gavin’s men 0-7 to 1-2 in front.

Then on the button of half-time Harry Dawson played a one-two with Ryan before being fouled in the square and the St Brigid’s man converted the penalty to leave the Dubs five points to the good at the break - 1-7 to 1-2.

SCORERS – Dublin: C Kilkenny 0-5 (0-2f), P Ryan 1-2 (1-0 pen, 0-1f), J Small, J McCaffrey, E O Conghaile, H Dawson, C Reddin 0-1 each. Wexford: M O’Regan 1-4 (0-4f), D Murphy 0-2 (0-1f), M O’Hanlon, B O’Gorman, G Cullen 0-1 each.

DUBLIN: JB Carthy; J Smith, K O’Brien, M Concarr; J Small, L Fletcher, J McCaffrey; E O Conghaile, D Byrne; G Seaver, G Sweeney, M Schutte; P Ryan, H Dawson, C Kilkenny. Subs: A Carr for Smith (35), E Keogh for Byrne (40), C Reddin for Seaver (40), P O’Higgins for O Conghaile (51), S George for Concar (inj 54).

WEXFORD: B Redmond; W Devereux, D Gardiner, M Furlong; L Chin, J Leacy, S Sinnott; M O’Hanlon, A Cash; B O’Gorman, G Cullen, L Og McGovern; D Murphy, M O’Regan, K Rowe. Subs: D McDonald for Cullen (37), B Halpin for Rowe (46), C Kehoe for Cash (54).
REF: F Kelly (Longford).
ATT: 1,500 (estimated).