News‎ > ‎Football News‎ > ‎

Henry shines as Dublin beat DUBS STARS

posted Jun 22, 2011, 1:19 PM by Kevin Brassil
1st January 2009

Pat Gilroy's term as Dublin boss got off to a bright start at Pairc Barrog, Kilbarrack this afternoon as his side accounted for the Dubs Stars in the annual senior football challenge game.

Level at 2-11 apiece at the end of a keenly-contested 70 minutes, the sides turned to penalty kicks where they continued to remain deadlocked until a David Henry and finally a Joey O'Rourke success earned the Dubs a 3-1 penalty shoot-out victory.

In ideal conditions, the large crowd present got a taste of what they hope will come from the Dubs in 2009 as they were treated to a high-octane contest, with the players shaking off the cobwebs of a two-month closed season.

The Dubs Stars sprang to life early on and led by 1-05 to 0-03 as the interval approached, with Kilmacud Crokes forward Mark Davoren netting their first half goal.

However, the first of two goals from corner forward Kevin Bonner of St Brigid's, knocking a high ball sent into the square from Raheny's Donal Ryan, ensured the gap was cut to two points at half-time, at the end of an opening half which saw Dublin amassing ten wides.

Bonner again found the Dubs Stars' net on the restart. Dublin held a 2-10 to 2-07 edge with five minutes remaining, with Tomas Quinn netting the Dubs Stars' second goal, but a late rally from the Dubs Stars saw them get back on terms.

This game was not all about goals however, and Raheny's David Henry impressed in an experimental role at centre-forward. The Raheny clubman kicked five points, four of those from play. Jason Sherlock, Quinn and Elliot Reilly impressed for the Dubs Stars.

For Dublin, defenders Ger Brennan and Paul Flynn were solid throughout with Cian O'Sullivan also catching the eye - he was cleared to play despite picking up a straight red card for Kilmacud in last month's Leinster final win.

Dublin will face Offaly in the O'Byrne Cup at O'Connor Park, Tullamore on Sunday, but they will field a side largely comprised of U-21 players as the seniors head to La Manga for a warm weather training camp.

DUBLIN: T McGrath; S Breheny, P Flynn, C O'Sullivan; P Casey, G Brennan, B Cahill (0-01); S Ryan (0-01), C Daly; B McManamon, D Henry (0-05, 0-01f), A Hubbard; D Daly (0-01), K Bonner (2-02), A Brogan (0-01).

Subs used: J Brogan for McManamon (18 mins), D Mooney for S Ryan (24), J O'Rourke for D Ryan (40), B McManamon for Hubbard (42), S Ryan for Casey (43), D McCormack for McGrath (46).

DUBS STARS: D Nestor; R O'Connor, K Nolan, D Daly; B Sexton, D Murray, E Dolan; S Walsh, E Reilly; P Burke (0-01), T Furman, F Smith (0-02); M Davoren (1-00), J Sherlock (0-02), T Quinn (1-03).

Subs used: S O'Shaughnessy for O'Connor, B Kelly (0-02) for Furman (both half-time), M Savage for Nestor (42 mins), P Andrews (0-01) for Burke (50), H Gill for Daly (56).

Referee: Mick Bissett (Whitehall Colmcille)