June 7th 2014

Match Reports

Tyrellstown V Raheny (Group 1) - Hurling


 Venue:            Belgree Pitch
 Throw In: 11:00
 No. of Raheny Teams: 2
 No. of Opponent Teams: 1
 WeatherOvercast, humid.

Raheny Green

Report By: Donni Rossi

Mentors: Donni Rossi. 
Squad: Luke Morgan, Sean Quinn, Max Osbourne, Martin Bishop, Cian and Ryan Rossi. 

We were down numbers for Saturday however the green team with back up from Ryan Rossi from the u7s put in a super performance in both the hurling and football matches. Hurling was first up and Tyrelstown were quite weak in this department. However the green team never let up or got complacent during the 20 minutes. Early goals from Max Osbourne, Martin bishop and Luke Morgan got the greens off to a flyer. This was backed up by goals from Sean Quinn, Cian and Ryan Rossi. This saw the greens finish out easy winners. 

Game 2 we swapped over and played football. This was a sterner test than the hurling. Tyrelstown began with a few early scores then the Raheny Greens stormed back with scores from Max Osbourne, Martin Bishop and Luke Morgan to lead at half time. The second half was much Tougher as we played up the hill. Some super midfield work from Ryan Rossi and defending from Sean Quinn and Cian Rossi halted tyrellstown getting out of site. Raheny were one score down with seconds left when the best link up play so far this season saw Martin Bishop grab a score at the death to even things up. 

Well done boys. Keep it up

Raheny Red

Report By: Kevin Fitzpatrick

Mentors: Kevin Fitzpatrick
Squad: John Broderick, Max Osborne, Ultan Fitzpatrick, Odhran Carmody, Martin Bishop, Adam Robinson Tiarnan O'Brien.

Raheny brought a smaller number of players than normal to Tyrrelstown so the Red and Green teams were mixed together to form two small teams. John, Ordhran, Adam and Ultan from the Red team welcomed Tiarnan from the green team to their squad.

The boys started of very strongly in the first hurling match with Ultan moving the ball from midfield to score 3 times in the opening few minutes of play.  The boys stick work and speed was causing Tyrrelstown problems and the boys moved a few more scores ahead before halftime. In the second half Tyrrelstown had made some changes and started to apply some pressure. John and Adam showed their hurling skills and dominated midfield and continued to feed ball up to the forwards. John, Ultan & Ordhran all got their names on the score sheet for the boys to win comfortably.

The second match was football and again the boys started moving the ball up the field very fast.  All attacks were mopped up by John in defence and he delivered some excellent passes to the forwards. Ultan and Tiarnan were linking up really well and were able to put the ball over the bar a number of times.  Adam and Ordhran put in some great tackles in midfield and won most of the throw ins. The team were moving and talking to each other to link up and maintain possession. The opposition were not able to break down the Raheny passing and therefore never threatened the Raheny goal.  All the boys put on two superb team performances in hurling and football. 

Raheny V Naomh Mearnog (Group 2) - Hurling


 Venue:            St. Anne's Pitch 12A
 Throw In: 10:00
 No. of Raheny Teams: 2
 No. of Opponent Teams: 2
 WeatherOvercast, humid.

Raheny Blue

By: Joanne Kerrisk

Mentors: Tony Lawless, Joanne Kerrisk & Conor Pitts

Team: James Pitts, Matt Lawless, Mathew Grant, Jack Codd, Ciaran Kerrisk, Cormac Baldwin & Cathal Shovlin.

1st Match:
In the frist half there was a lot of play by the Raheny blues keeping the ball in Naomh Mearnog's square. This came from good balls in from our Midfielders Cathal & Matt. Cormac and Mathew worked well together in forwards providing a lot of strikes at goal but were unlucky not to convert. Near the end of this half the visitors started to find their stride  sending some big strikes down the Raheny End.

Jack was ready for them and blocked a ball to the right of the Raheny goal and with all his might struck it up the pitch bypassing all the players on the pitch including the goalkeeper providing the Blues with the 1st score. Just before the half time whistle the visitors found the net. In the 2nd half there was 2 changes Ciaran and Comac and James and Mathew swapped positions. The tempo was raised in this half with all the blues providing long strikes and in particular Jack stood out today with this skill. Cathal provided a great save just in front of goal. Cormac produced long buck outs from goal and on one occasion his buck out reached the Naomh Mearnog's goal with their goalkeeper blocking the ball for a goal but came off his hurl and over the bar for a point. The game ended Raheny 1g 1pt to Naomh Mearnog 1g.

2nd match:
This match was a very tight affair. In the 1st half we saw Cathal in goal standing his ground with Mathew and Cormac working triedlessly in the backs for the blues. Ciaran and Jack in midfield winning majority of the trow in's and James and Matt ready for any ball into them to convert. Matt was very unlucky not to have scored from a great strike. Naomh Mearnog found the back of the net twice in this half but Jack stopped a buck out just above midfield returning it back pass the goalkeeper. There was only 1 change in the 2nd half,Matt and Cathal. This half turned out to be an epic battle with both sides moving and defending well. James got a hard knock taking him off the pitch for a short spell but returned to his position. Ciaran blocked a ball striking it back up towards the oppositions goal, James was on the ball quickly and scoring. Matt in goal provided the blues with a great save and Mathew and Cormac did not allow the visitors to score in this half. As the game was drawing to a close it looked like a draw but the blues never stopped. Ciaran won a ball and struck it hard from midfield almost finding the back of the net but the goalkeeper provided his team with a great save sending it back out the field and on the rebound Ciaran made a good connection and returned it to the goalkeeper but on this occasion it hit the back of the net. The game ended Raheny 3g Naomh Mearnog 2g

Raheny Orange

Report By: Niall Watters

Mentors:  Tony O'Grady & Niall Watters
Team: Johnny Baldwin, Dan O'Grady, Oscar Thomas, Conor Watters, Mark McHugh and Finn Brassil.

On a 'soft morning', Raheny Orange were down a few players as some of the lads were away camping. We drafted in Finn Brassil and Mark McHugh from the Under 7s. These two lads were more than worthy additions. We had the pleasure of hosting Portmarnock, our fourth time to play them in 12 months. Mearnog gave us one of their players for each game. Isaac first and Fintan in game two put a great shift in.

Our first game was a tight affair. Both teams battled hard for each ball. There was some great pucks outs and covering by our goalkeeper Conor Watters in the first half. It was nil all at half time. Mearnog went one up in the second half, somewhat against the run of play. A few changes were made in the second half, Oscar put in a great effort with fearless tackling, our Portmarnock draftee, Isaac, on the day scored the equaliser. It was a great game to watch and wonderful draw.

The second match was a more one side affair, with Raheny Organge running into a five nil lead half way through the second half. Dan and Finn were excellent in midfield and ran the game like seasoned pros. Dan O'Grady scored a goal direct from a puck out as well as a scorcher from near to the half way line. Finn, Fintan and super Johnny all added goals. Mark McHugh pulled the Mearnog defenders all over, creating lots of space for our midfielders. Our visitors scored two late goals, but the game was over with Raheny Orange running out 5 v 2 winners. This was a great team performance and Raheny Orange maintained their unbeaten run in hurling. Remember lads, keep working on your tackling and being first to the ball and our run will hopefully keep going.