29th March 2014

Three team football blitz

Raheny V Beann Eadair V Trinity Gaels (Group 1)

 Venue:St Annes 12       
 Throw In: 10:00
 No. of Raheny Teams: 2
 No. of  Host Teams: 2
 Weather:Dull and showery.

Raheny Green
Report By: Paul Nolan

Mentors: Kieran Doherty, Paul Nolan and John Strain

Squad: Luke Morgan, Mathew Dowdall, Joseph Doherty, John Broderick, Jamie Nolan, Max Osborne, Dylan Strain, Joe Bonnar and Tiernan O’Brien.

The Raheny Greens looked forward to their first football blitz of the new season with great anticipation despite the miserable cold and wet conditions. In our first match, we played a well drilled Trinity Gaels team who came determined to claim victory after losing to Raheny last year. The first half was keenly contested with Gaels leading by a goal to nil despite stalwart midfield play from Joseph Doherty who covered very blade of grass and terrific tackling and defending by Luke Morgan and Dylan Strain.

The second half however was a different story as the superior fitness of the Raheny Greens came to the fore with goals and points from Jamie Nolan, Joseph Doherty and Max Osborne to give the Greens a win by 11 points to 1.

The second match was much closer against a strong Beann Eadair team. Raheny Greens showed great determination and commitment in a very keenly contested affair with great displays from all the boys. Again we were down by 1 goal to Nil at half time but after a reorganisation of positions and a good halftime talk from the coaches, we fought bravely in the second half with tremendous points from Tiernan O Brien and once again Max Osborne who was up and down the pitch providing the link between defence and attack. A brilliant high catch from goalkeeper Joe Bonner and clever kick outs were the highlights of a strong second half performance from Raheny.

The score was 10 all until the last kick of the game when a free kick was awarded to Beann Eadair as Raheny were defending strongly but were adjudged to have fouled an incoming forward forward. The match ended with a narrow loss to the Greens but once again the skill,  strength and commitment was there for all to see. Roll on next week.

Raheny Red

Report by: Donni Rossi

Mentors: Kevin Fitzpatrick and Donni Rossi

Squad: Martin Bishop, Sean Quinn, Adam Robinson, Ordhran Carmody, Ultan Fitzpatrick, Cathal Shovlin and Luke McCullough.

In game 1, Raheny Red came up against a very competitive Beann Eadair side. It was a tight first half with good scores coming from Adam Robinson, Luke McCullough. Also some sterling defensive work by Sean Quinn and Cathal Shovlin. The second half saw Raheny with their backs to the wall as Beann Eadair got a second wind as they laid siege on the Raheny goal. Luckily Raheny held out for a well deserved win with great tackling coming from Ordhran Carmody and Ultan Fitzpatrick and some last ditch defending from Cian Rossi and Martin Bishop.

The second game ( v Trinity Gaels) saw a more comprehensive win for the Raheny Red Team. As the rain started to come down heavily, the Raheny boys stuck to the task with good goal keeping and kick outs from Ordhran, super link up play from Luke, Sean and Adam. This produced some lovely scores as Raheny went in 5 scores up at the break. Raheny pulled away in the second half with stand out performances from Ultan, Martin, Cian and Cathal to see Raheny home comfortable winners. This team has now played 6 football matches together and we are beginning to see an overall team performance. Well done boys keep it up. 

Naomh Mearnog V Na Fianna V Raheny (Group 2)

 Venue:Pairc Mearnog       
 Throw In: 10:00
 No. of Raheny Teams: 2
 No. of Opponent Teams: 4
 Weather:Cold, dull, showery.

Raheny Orange

Report By: Niall Watters 

Mentors: Niall Watters, Tony Lawless & Joanne Kerrisk

Squad: Colin McAweeney, Conor Watters, Matt Lawless, Ciaran Kerrisk, Jamie Ward, Brian Murray and Conor Watters

On a cold, grey, showery morning in Pairc Mearnog, Raheny Under 8s Orange team braved the weather for our three team football blitz against our hosts, Naomh Mearnog and also the visiting Na Fianna. In our first game of the day, the orange team played against a very strong and well drilled Mearnog team. The match was a bit one sided throughout, our hosts had many of their good players on the one team and it showed. Raheny fought hard throughout, trying to mark their men, tackling and getting the ball forward. Unfortunately, we could not get a score over despite being close while Mearnog racked up a goal and batch of points at the other end. For us Matt Lawless, Conor Watters and Jack Codd stood out in terms of their commitment while Ciaran Kerrisk was great at kicking out from the goal.

 In our second game, we played Na Fianna for the first time in 2014 (a February game was called off due to the weather). This second game was a much more balanced affair. The game ended in a draw or a slender victory for one side - there was a bit of confusion over scores. As far as we could tell, Matt Lawless scored a brace of points, although the Raheny goal was barely troubled in the second half and most of the play was in front of Na Fianna’s goal. We had a string of wides unfortunately. There was great midfield play in this game from Brian Murray and Colin McAweeney. A big thanks is due to our hosts Naomh Mearnog for who supplied some treats as well as medals for the players of each team, thanks also to Senan and Oliver from Na Fianna who joined our numbers in the second match. Overall, well done to the Oranges, who are continuing to work on their marking, tackling and moving the ball quickly. Remember to be nice to your Mammys on Sunday!

Raheny Blue

Report By: Padraig Kent 

Mentors: Padraig Kent & Tony O'Grady .

Squad: Dan O'Grady, James Pitts, Ryan Kent, Evan Wynne, Sam Mitchell, Luke Kelly, Johnny Baldwin and Cormac Baldwin.

This Saturday saw the Blue Crew arrive on Naombh Mearnóg’s home turf for the second week running.  Leaving their helmets and hurls at home they brought their gum shields instead. This week the menu comprised a blitz which included an exciting first encounter with Na Fianna, and a second encounter of the season with Naomh Mearnóg.   What was quite apparent in both of these encounters is how much this unit has improved defensively especially in the tackle.  This was apparent to the referee also as he demanded that all teams adhere strictly to the rules.  Insisting on no pushing, demanding single handed tackling, encouraging the use of the shoulder in the clash.  This led to further improvements as the game progressed especially from Sam and Evan.  This competitive defence was also apparent in the opposition giving very little room to our offence to move freely with the ball.  Players had to adjust and move the ball possibly more quickly than they had been used to.  Adjust they did with Raheny overcoming  Na Fianna by 12 points to 5 and denying Mearnóg victory in a close battle finishing 6 points to 5 in favour of the blue crew.  

Today our men learned in order to overcome tough competitive defence they must first move the ball quickly. It is no longer good enough to thump the ball upfield into space. They must identify their teammates in space and deliver the ball directly to them. This they did with some outstanding passing. The best of these had to be when Dan picked out Luke between two of the opposition defenders in the Mearnóg encounter. Dropping a perfectly weighted pass into Kelly’s  waiting hands leaving him time to turn and place the ball over the bar to win the 2nd game. It wasn’t an easy strike especially with two big lads bearing down on him but Luke made it look easy.  Evan’s time in goal was a busy period and it must be said he stood up to the challenge with excellence stopping some excellent strikes. Ryan put up a great show in defence in the first game showing great work rate. However he was hurt while blocking a shot which caught 3 of his fingers. The shot was blocked but unfortunately it ended Ryan’s involvement for the rest of the morning. James and Johnny both put in a good mornings work but it must be said that Dan and Cormac made a real difference. With ceaseless running for their team if one had the ball the other was always running into space ahead.  Well done lads, another great job!

Three team blitz, Portmarnock, Mar 29th