Whitehall Colmcille and Erin Go Bragh Both Away

posted Sep 22, 2014, 3:32 PM by raheny gaa   [ updated Sep 23, 2014, 1:43 AM by Web Admin ]
Raheny U8s - Group 1

 Venue:            Ellenfield
 Throw In: 10:30
 No. of Raheny Teams: 2
 No. of Opponent Teams: 2
 WeatherWarm and overcast

Raheny Green

Report By: Brendan Shovlin
Photo coming soon

Mentors: Brendan Shovlin & John Strain

SquadConor Watters, Ciaran Kerrisk, Joe Bonar, Colin McAweeney, Cathal Shovlin, Mathew Dowdall, Mathew Grant and Adam Robinson

Raheny Green travelled to Ellenfield without their inspirational manager Neill Watters who was once again showing there is life in the old dog yet and he would have been proud of the efforts of the team in his absence.

Raheny played up the hill and into the wind in the first half but despite this only went in at half time 1 point down. The effort was typified by forwards Joe and Adam who blocked chased and harried for every ball.  Strong efforts from Ciaran and Mathew in defence who were ably supported Conor and Colin, laid a solid platform for what should have led to a win. It was not to be however. Colm struck for the Greens opening score but despite a steady flow of ball going into the forward line from Cathal and Mathew in midfield, some wide’s were to cost the greens victory as Whitehall scored on the only 3 attacks they had up the field. The result did not do justice to the effort put in by the boys but the performance boded well for the next game.

In the second game the green team picked up where they left off with the work effort exceptional in every area. They never gave Whitehall a sniff of victory with Colm and Cathal cleaning up in the backs with Mathew in goal sweeping up anything that went in behind. One burst out of defence by Cathal led to a great team score with the ball being fed to Conor, Joe and onto Ciaran who cut in from the right wing onto his left foot and Joe Brolly like swung the ball over the bar. It was Ciaran’s second point from play and all we were missing was the blowing of kisses to the crowd afterwards.  In the second half Raheny kicked on and with Joe and Adam again dominating at the back, Mathew tracking back and forth from Midfield and Cathal and Conor linking well for scores in the front. Special mention to Colin who scored one goal and three points.

However what was most impressive in both games was seeing the skills being practised at training being put into practise with every boy getting in at least one clean block during the two games. Brilliant to watch. Well done lads

Raheny Red

Report By: Joanne Kerrisk

Mentors: Kevin Fitzpatrick & Joanne Kerrisk

SquadUltan Fitzpatrick, Brian Murray, Luke Kelly, Mathew Brigdale, Callum McNamara-Ryan, Tiarnán O'Brien and Finn Brassil.

It was the morning after the Inter - schools challenge and we found ourselves down a few men from injury. The red team met on the grounds of Whitehall Colmcille to take them on in football on their home turf.

The reds had to start the first match with a man down but despite this found the back of the net early. Ultan & Finn showed great in mid field winning much of the throw in's, supplying good ball into Callum. Callum has awarded a free in which he glided over the bar. Brian & Jack defended well and Jack supplied the reds with a number of blocks and interceptions. On Tirarnán's arrival, he got straight down to business up front and almost immediately put a point over the bar. Whitehall got possession and putting the ball over on two occasions. The reds responded strongly with Jack winning back the ball, good pass into Ultan with Finn ready and awaiting to receive and puts its superbly over the bar. From a Whitehall kick out Tiarnán won the ball gave a lovely hand pass to Callum resulting in another score for the reds. Just before the blow of the half time whistle Whitehall scored a point. In the second half Luke scored a great point from the first throw of the game. Whitehall responded quickly resulting in a goal but the reds showed great team work, Jack worked hard and was awarded a free. Jack expertly kicked it and Ultan struck the ball which looked to be going over for a point but instead hit the left hand corner of the net. From a kick out Jack was quick on the ball again passing it up the field when Luke was fouled and from a well taken free Luke sent it over. The opposition didn't give up and responded with two more scores. The game ended Raheny Reds 2g 6pts Whitehall 2g 5pts.

In the second match, fatigue was starting to set in on the reds from their night before antics in St Anne's. This Whitehall team looked to be much stronger. Brian in goal and Ultan & Tiarnán were kept very busy in the backs. Whitehall went on a frenzy of scores resulting in Jack having to fall back to help out with defending. While Finn and Luke were having a quiet time in the forwards some ball did go up to their half with Finn talking hard to keep position resulting in him being awarded a free. Finn made easy work of it tapping it over the bar. At half time their mentor explained that they had to fight hard to win possession and also to keep it. He reminded them to look up before passing the ball to ensure to target one of their own team. A few switches were made and it was back on the pitch from the final half. From the first blow of the whistle, the reds took the game on by the scruff of the neck and it became evident that the Reds were up for the challenge. Jack & Callum stepped it up a gear in the backs with Luke in goal and together they denied Whitehall any chances bar one score in this half. Ultan & Finn passed a lot of ball into Tiarnán & Brian which allowed them a lot of targets at goal but were unlucky on a number of occasions. But the Reds kept digging deep and this resulted in scores from Finn & Jack. The Raheny Reds never say die attitude paid off with the game ending Raheny reds 6pts Whitehall 1g 5pts.

Well done reds great attitude to have to come back in the second half to win the match. Great team work!   

Raheny U8s - Group 2

 Venue:            Hazelbury Park
 Throw In: 11
 No. of Raheny Teams: 2
 No. of Opponent Teams: 2
 WeatherWarm and overcast

Raheny Orange

Report By: Paul Nolan

Mentors: Paul Nolan, Tony Lawless and Padraig 'I have a dream' Kent

Squad: Johnny Baldwin, Jamie Nolan, Max Osborne, Oscar Thomas, Rudi Kellett-Whelan, Cormac Baldwin, Ryan Kent and Martin Bishop

Raheny Oranges took to the field for their first football game after the summer recess against a well drilled Erin Go Bragh team having previously had our first football match cancelled a couple of weeks back. Despite this, in the first match, Raheny started out of the blocks at pace and showed their superior football skills and strength in racing into a 1 goal and 1 point to a goal lead at half time. The midfield dominance of both Johnny and Cormac Baldwin scoring both of these points. Against the run of play a point blank save by Ryan Kent just on the half time whistle ensured also that we preserved this lead. 

In the second half Raheny' s superior structure and passing provided point scoring opportunities  for both Martin Bishop (1 point) and Jamie Nolan (2 points) as the game looked all over. Erin Go Brath fought back well and stalwart defending by Max Osborne ably assisted by terrier like tackling by Rudi Kellett- Whelan meant that Raheny Oranges won their first football match of the second part of the season by 2-4 to 2-1 for a well deserved victory.

The second match also provided a stern test for Raheny and the overall standard of play from both sides was excellent as the ball was moved quickly through the hand towards goal. Max Osborne moved into midfield from defence and together with Cormac Baldwin supplied excellent ball to front men Jamie Nolan, Oscar Thomas and Rudi Kellett-Whelan. Except for some wayward shooting by Raheny this game should have been over by half time such was our dominance. 

In the second half Martin Bishop took up the goal keeping position and in addition to blocking two certain goals linked very well with his backs Ryan Kent and Johnny Baldwin on kick outs putting into practice what we have been doing in training every Tuesday and Thursday evening in St Annes. The final whistle brought to and end a very enjoyable as The boys from Raheny celebrated a second win on the road by 1-3 to 1-2.

Overall a great day but more importantly great football with all the boys showing great awareness, technical skills and commitment to the Raheny jersey. 

Well done Boys from Padraic, Tony and Paul

Raheny Blue

Report By: Kieran Doherty

Mentors: Donni Rossi, Ciaran Doherty & Conor Pitts

SquadJoseph Doherty, Cian Rossi, James Pitts, Cormac Baldwin, Sean Quinn, Johnny Baldwin, Adam Roberts and Sam Mitchell.

The Raheny Blue team had a very successful trip to the home of Erin Go Bragh on Saturday. On a perfect pitch, the Raheny boys produced two impressive performances and came away with two wins. More importantly, the style and quality of the play was a delight to watch.

The first match resulted in a score of 2-6 to 1-2. The home team tested the Raheny backs early on but good tackles and blocks from Adam Roberts and James Pitts and an excellent save from Joseph Doherty kept the scores conceded to a minimum. At the other end Luke Morgan was always dangerous and Sean Quinn was in excellent scoring form. Luke McCullough was also in good goal scoring form and had the home defenders under pressure throughout the match. Cian Rossi was the other Raheny scorer with a great point.

The second match was another high scoring affair. This time the victory was by 4-3 to 1-3. Again, Erin Go Bragh had no answer to the prolific Luke McCullough. Luke's scores were supplemented by goals from Sean Quinn and an opportunist effort from Luke Morgan who had one of his best games for Raheny. Joseph Doherty kept the home attack under control for most of the match with some great clearances and Adam Roberts was strong and skilful in midfield. There was one particularly important point saving block from James Pitts and a brave save from Cian Rossi that stopped a certain goal.

All in all, a good trip down the N3.